Moving Day

Saturday 22nd January

Today we moved from our apartment in Brixton to our new apartment in Greenwich.  We must say the the apartment in Brixton was first class and it was a pity we could not finish our stay in London there.  However they had previously booked persons so we moved on.

Having sent a couple of boxes home we were back to two suitcases, backpack and flight bag.  These we managed to manoeuvre through the streets of Brixton to the tube station, only to find that the line was, unexpectedly, closed.  In fact we were just about to enter the station when they started to close the doors.  What now?  We wandered a hundred metres up the road and found a bus going to Elephant and Castle tube station and hopped on.  Then we found that it was stopping at Clapham North and other stations.  We passed Clapham Common station without realising so just held on for the next station.  For some reason the bus circumnavigated Clapham Common and came back to the rear of the station to a back entrance.  A quick word to the driver and he let us off and we were able to get our journey started.   Clapham Common to London Bridge station, hop off and transfer to the Jubilee line, ride to Canary Wharf, hop off and transfer to the Dockland Light Rail, ride to Cutty Sark and lo and behold we arrive.  Not bad for a couple of antipodeans without a compass.

We are met by the owner of the apartment and taken all of 50 metres from the station to our new apartment.  Again relatively new, very well appointed and comfortable.  We settle in, unpack, get organised.  Roy goes off to get some supplies and finds the Greenwich market within 50 metres in another direction. 

We both head off for a look at the market and spend time idly wandering.  Find a shop alongside the market selling games and finally get a pack of Phase 10 cards (bit late but better than never).  Also see a very neat pot plant holder system which I think we might replicate at home.

quilts Spotted this stall selling quilts so took a photo for Ann.  This prompted a discussion with the stall owner who was not pleased.  However turns out she is from the Hawkes Bay and after a chat all is well and we move on.

Finally grab a bite to eat from one of the stalls (Bernice a curry, Roy a Carribean Goat stew) and head back to the apartment.  We hear from Alexandra that she and friends are going to come over and see us later in the day.  So back out to the local Marks and Spenser for food for the multitude. Good old meat and veg for the kiwi blokes, with a bit of added chicken.

Roy decides that he can fit in a visit to the Maritime Museum whilst waiting for them to turn up.   A very interesting and well laid out display of Naval History, equipment, models and memorabilia.

 model 1 Model ship of the line, showing the sweeps extended, which is unusual.

model Model of a 48 gun ship of the line

 portable sun dials A portable sundial

sun dial A very large sundial outside the building.

Alexandra and the team duly arrived and we sat down to a lovely dinner followed by a very good session of drinks and general merriment.

the group Bernice, Simon, Leeroy, Mathew, Alexandra and Roy

Snow and offsider Even Snow found a mate

We bedded down our guests for the night and all retired undefeated.  A good night was had by all.


One Response to “Moving Day”

  1. A week of Whangamata | The Vannini's Manoeuvres Says:

    […] may recall that when we were in London we had a fabulous weekend with Alex, Lee and Matthew, see . We would have loved to have joined Lee & Matt in celebrating their big day but we have our […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: