Ramp Road, Tokerau beach and a little R&M

It was time to leave Kerikeri on Monday, plans were set and we were ready to move on. However, things never quite go to plan or as simply as we would like as we seemed to fluff around for ages. First it was off to the dump station to empty the waste tanks and fill up with water, but the water pressure was soooooo sloooow, it took forever. I left Roy to tend to those matters whilst I nipped into town to; 1. Retrieve a notebook I left at the library 2. Get some cash to pay for the parking 3. Get our copy of the weekly Listener magazine 4. Post off a parcel.

That completed, I then met up with Roy who said we were to go to the local franchise of Carter’s Tyres to get the airbag suspension checked and the tyre pressures checked. A 10 minute job turned into an hour. All went well until the man got to the final tyre, and he could not access the pressure valve as it was hidden by the wheel cover. Try as he might, that damn cover would not come off, after much frustration and use of many tools he finally managed to get it off without a scratch. Finally we could head off. But not quite, first off to the petrol station for some fuel, hook on the car and this time we are off!

We arrived at Ramp Road and parked ourselves along the beach front and set ourselves up in the sun.

20140729-164802-60482298.jpg
We put out the awning as well as the front and side wind shade which made a huge difference, particularly to the temperature inside the van as the door was now sheltered from the wind. It was whilst we were setting ourselves up that Roy came up with a brilliant idea to stop the slight flapping of the front edge of the wind break. When we got all the pieces from the manufacturer, they gave us the half zip that was left over from making. Roy asked me to get out the sewing machine and sew on ties along the edge. That done, he attached the zip to the one on the front and used the ties to attach it to a centre pole.

20140729-165855-61135876.jpg

20140729-165856-61136863.jpg a hole drilled into the awning roll to lock the pole into position and we are set.

More tasks on the job list to be ticked off was the cleaning and resealing of joints on the outside of the van. We have a new product to use which seems to be much better than silicone, however, it does tend to be very messy no matter how hard we tried to keep clean. We have black gooey gunk and white gooey gunk ( technical name for Simsons sealant) but first the clean up of the joints, remove old silicone, mask off the area to be done, and get it on as quickly as possible. It turns out we make a pretty damn good team and managed to make a very good job of our first efforts.

20140801-144603-53163889.jpg black sealant around the wheel arch.

We have a long way to go to complete the whole van, but we can do a little at a time and it will soon get finsihed. During this process I accidentally discovered a way of cleaning and whitening the little locker catches, I removed one to have a go at cleaning it up, as part of the cleaning process (which included the use of a toothbrush -shhhh, don’t tell Roy, I’ll put it back when I’ve finished 😉 ) I made up a solution of a nappy soaking product, left the catch soaking in it for a few hours, lo and behold, it’s nicely clean and white!

Another we task completed was how to make the access to the washing machine easier. Those who have followed our blog will remember that we installed the machine into a cupboard, but due to size constraints it was a bit of a tight squeeze to get it in and out – read about it here. On talking with friends Brian & Marj, Marj came up with the suggestion of using some of those thin plastic cutting boards placed on the base to slide the machine out. With a bit more thought and experimenting, we have solved our problem, I chopped up a few of the cutting boards as it just so happened that I have a set of them that I don’t use as I don’t like them – they are not good for my knives. So, cut a couple up, glue to the base board, stick the fluffy side of a Velcro dot onto the feet of the washing machine, and hey presto, the machine now slides in and out easily. Sometimes, it is the simple solution that is the best, thanx Marj for sewing the seed.

20140801-150250-54170980.jpg colourful slides!

And just to make some of you a little envious, this is the view from the door in the mornings.

20140801-151612-54972652.jpg

Advertisements

One Response to “Ramp Road, Tokerau beach and a little R&M”

  1. Taputaputa | The Vannini's Manoeuvres Says:

    […] completely idle, we had a bit of an improvement made to our ties to the awning windbreak.  here was Version one, but after I accidentally pulled off one of the ties, we came up with the new, […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s


%d bloggers like this: